PPGAV has its own offices located on the seventh floor of the Rectory Building, Avenida Pedro Calmon, 550 – comprising lectures rooms, an auditorium, laboratories, administration office – and the atelier, the Visual Media Warehouse, in another building, located at Rua Mauricio Joppert da Silva, s/nº, Cidade Universitária, Ilha do Fundão, Rio de Janeiro, RJ. In addition, PPGAV and graduates share painting, engraving and sculpture ateliers, the 150 seat auditorium (room 614), the LabGraf /Graphics Centre of the Visual Communication Department, coordinated by Prof. Marcus Dohmann and the D. João VI Museum.
PPGAV Lecture Rooms and Atelier
Located on the seventh floor of the Rectory Building are: a) room 704, 40 m² in size, housing PPGAV’s administration staff, including the coordinator’s office, the academic staff room and teachers’ staff room; b) room 702, 60 m² in size, an auditorium with 90 seats for lectures or dissertation and thesis defense exams; c) rooms 701 and 703, 60 m² and 40 m² in size respectively, designated for lectures; d) the Visual Media Warehouse atelier, 630 m² in size).
PPGAV has research and creation laboratories which offer infrastructure for the development of research and teaching activities, which include:
Galpão PPGAV (Visual Media Warehouse)
A physical space, 630m² in size, located in a building outside the School of Fine Arts.
Rua Maurício Joppert da Silva, s/n°
(no quarteirão atrás do Prédio da Reitoria)
Cidade Universitária – Ilha do Fundão – Rio de Janeiro
tel.: (21) 2598-1643
D. João VI Museum
The D. João VI Museum of the School of Fine Arts at Rio de Janeiro Federal University is an institutional space for the conservation art education heritage and memory, bringing together production from the Imperial Academy of Fine Arts, the National School of Fine Arts and part of the School of Fine Arts’ recent history. The museum houses two separate collections, one of works of art and the other of documents, an indispensable primary source for the development of art research studies and projects, be they theoretical or practical. These collections are the result of academic heritage produced by the school mostly in the period between 1820 and 1920. Its collections bring together 19th and 20th century artistic evolution and production in Brazil, especially in Rio de Janeiro. It also brings together productions from European schools (Italy, France, the Netherlands, Spain and Portugal) dating from the sixteenth century. The collection consists of approximately 3,653 museum pieces and 6,221 documents and has special importance, whether for the study and understanding of the country’s history of artistic training, or for constructing a history of Brazilian art. One highlight is the Rare Works Section, of incalculable historical value, since it includes collections brought by the French Artistic Mission of 1816 and other ones added during the long history of Imperial Academy of Fine Arts, later the National School of Fine Arts. Thus, the D. João VI Museum’s archive serves the needs of students from all over Brazil and even from abroad – since its archive is important for the understanding of Brazilian art in the 19th and 20th centuries. In particular, they have been the basis for PPGAV’s Art Criticism and History line of research, with a significant production of dissertations, theses and publications on the institution’s history and the question of artistic education.
The Prof. Alfredo Galvão Library at the School of Fine Arts has an archive of books, iconographic documents and periodicals indexed in UFRJ’s Minerva Library and Information System Database. In total, the library has 7500 books, 722 theses and dissertations, 16,242 issues of periodicals (belonging to 413 titles). Currently undergoing expansion, the EBA’s Library archive is physically stored together with the Architecture and Urbanism Faculty’s Lucio Costa Library archive and the IPPUR library, on the Rectory building mezzanine. In addition to access to the library sector, PPGAV has a collection of books and periodicals for the exclusive use of the programme’s students, located next to the PPGAV administrative office.
PPGAV is equipped with a total of 5 (five) LCD screen computers, 1 (one) laptop and 2 (two) projectors used for thesis defenses. In 2010, funds from the “Rio Capital of the Arts” project prepared alongside UERJ’s Institute of the Arts to bid for an award from the FAPERJ No. 12/2009 /”Equipment Support” Programme CAPES / FAPERJ – 2009″ were used to acquire 8 computers, 3 projectors, 2 scanners, 2 printers, 3 webcams, one digital camera, one digital video camera, 1 TV set and one DVD player, intended to equip the laboratories, as well as two lecture rooms, for online conferences.